Church of England Schools

Church of England schools are established primarily for the communities they are located in and were founded by parishes to serve the poorest children. They are inclusive and serve equally those who are of the Christian faith, those of other faiths and those with no faith.

The Church of England has a long and respected history of involvement in education:

  • Around one million children attend C of E schools
  • 25% of all primary and middle schools and 6% of secondary schools are C of E
  • C of E clergy dedicate a million hours a year working with children in schools
  • There are 22,500 Foundation Governors in Church schools recruited, trained and supported by dioceses
  • Each diocese runs a Diocesan Board of Education supporting Church schools.

On 16th October 1811, Joshua Watson, a wine merchant, philanthropist and prominent member of the High Church party founded the ‘National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church in England and Wales,’ commonly referred to as the National Society.

  Joshua Watson

Our school opened in 1815 as a direct result of Joshua Watson’s work and it was originally called Kentish and Camden Town National school. It was then located in Great (now Royal) College Street. It relocated to Islip Street in 1849.

You can read more about Church of England schools here.