Cedar Class exercised their right to healthy food (article 24) by making healthy breakfast muffins – healthy because they had mashed banana and apple sauce for natural sweetness and blueberries and seeds for an extra nutritious hit!
They worked in house teams to weigh and measure out the ingredients. They followed the below recipe brilliantly and baked some delicious treats.
Have a go with this recipe yourself!
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml pot natural yoghurt
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 100g apple sauce
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 50g rolled oats, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 100g blueberries
- 2 tbsp mixed seed (we used pumpkin, sunflower and flaxseed)
1) Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2) Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 12 large muffin cases.
3) In a large bowl, mix the eggs, yogurt, oil, apple sauce, banana, honey and vanilla.
4) Tip the remaining ingredients, except the seeds, into another bowl.
5) Mix the wet and dry ingredients together in the large bowl until you have a smooth batter – don’t overmix as this will make the muffins heavy.
6) Divide the batter between the cases, using a spoon.
7) Sprinkle the muffins with the extra oats and the seeds.
8) Bake for 25-30 mins until golden and well risen, and a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
9) Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.